The Project Goal at Mujjunwa
The goal of the project was to provide and improve access to safe and adequate water free from cholera and water‐borne diseases to the local community of Mujjunwa village, Mujjunwa Islamic school, Excel Orphanage Centre and neighboring villages.
Project Impacts on the Community
- Low health complications due to bad water have been realized
- Increased food production came as a result of families now spending time doing more farm work because of no water stress.
- Support of at least 50% population around the area due to borehole construction.
- Reduction of time wasted in search for water, leaving enough time for doing other developmental activities.
- Some village youth members were trained how to repair and maintain the borehole in case of breakdown.
- Increased life expectancy due to usage of safe water, free of water-borne diseases.
- Over 17 youths acquired borehole skills from the first 5 trained youths.
- Improved community fund savings to upgrade the hand pump to mini water pump
- 8.4 million UGX in contributions.
- The HPMs hired tools from the Sub County two times at a cost of UGX 300,000 to repair the borehole.
Mujjunwa village is about 4 kilometre squares located in Kagoma Parish, Kitenga Sub County, Buwekula County in Mubende district in the central region of Uganda. Mubende District is bordered by Kibaale district to the North West, Kiboga to the north, Mityana to the east, Sembabule and Gomba to the south and Kyegegwa to the west.
The climate of Mubende district shows Savannah type of vegetation, with scattered trees, shrubs and grass. The Temperatures range from 15oC to over 27oC. Mubende district has a tropical climate with moderate rainfall and temperature. The rainfall pattern is bi-modal with two seasons and the annual rainfall varying between 560 mm to 1,272 mm.
Mujjunwa village has population of 709 – 140 households with no safe drinking water point. In 18th August, 2016, the population received one borehole constructed by Draco Uganda Limited
Clean Water Foundation well number 3 (CWF 003) having failed to succeed at Lamvorungur village in Mutunda Sub County, Kiryandongo district in 2014. Mujjunwa DWD number is 51675
“We spent a lot of time to collect materials from making baskets, mats, huts, bags, beads, necklaces, but we get few clients to buy the products. As a result some women give up the activities for farming instead. Opening a craft shop in Mubende town would be a very good opportunity to attract highway travelers, but lack of initial capital is the hindrance”.The female leader of the crafts activities